Real News Matters Journalism Forum
In Singapore, the World Editors Forum partnered with the National Youth Achievement Award Council to hold a “Real News Matters: World News Day” journalism forum on 28 September.
Arrival and Registration.
Welcome by emcee Winnie Goh, Year 3 student, Wee Kim Wee School of Communication & Information, Nanyang Technological University
Opening Remarks by Warren Fernandez, President, World Editors Forum & Editor-in-Chief, The Straits Times
Covering Conflict – by Asian Journalism Fellowship 2019 fellows
- Kalani Kumarasinghe, Features Editor, The Daily Mirror, Sri Lanka
- Maran Htoi Aung, Editor, Kachin Waves, Myanmar
- Victoria Tulad, Senior News Correspondent, GMA, Philippines
- Moderator: Lau Joon-Nie, Director, Asia, World Association of News Publishers (WAN-IFRA)
Fact or Fake? Keep it Real – news verification session by Shefali Rekhi, Asian News Network Editor, The Straits Times and Q&A with Warren Fernandez, Editor-in-Chief, The Straits Times.
It Changed My Life
- Javier Ng, Year 1 ITE Central College student, Anti-drug advocate and member of Youth Advisory Group under Ministry of Social and Family Development
- Video of Mr Seow Ban Yam, age 83, whose story resulted in the cost review of at least 20 medical procedures to align better with MediShield Life claim limits.
- Dr Mustafa Izzuddin, National Youth Achievement Award Gold Award Holder & Research Fellow at the Institute of South Asian Studies and the University Scholars Programme, National University of Singapore on how being covered in the news has changed his life as an academic. He will share on how he handles news commentary, opinion and punditry when interviewed by journalists.
- Wong Kim Hoh, Senior Writer, The Straits Times, whose award-winning story series, “It Changed My Life”, led to the creation of the Singaporean of the Year Awards.
- Moderator: Alysha Chandra